Hanging Christmas lights can feel a bit like a chore. Luckily, it doesn’t have to be that way. Never fear your holiday project again with these tips on how to hang Christmas lights on various exterior surfaces, windows, and gutters.
Hanging Christmas Lights on Different Exterior Home Surfaces
Unlike plastic siding that lends itself well to plastic hanging hooks, other surfaces can be more challenging to decorate.
How To Hang Christmas Lights on Stucco
Stucco can be tricky to decorate, especially if you want to avoid damaging the exterior of your home. There are two different ways to hang Christmas lights on your stucco home using adhesive hooks or an anchor and screw combination. The easiest of these methods is applying adhesive hooks.
While you can install permanent screws and anchors, the installation process is complex and if you’re not familiar with what you’re doing you’re likely to damage your home’s exterior surface.
Adhesive Hook Method
Items you’ll need for this project include:
- Stiff brush
- Outdoor adhesive-backed hooks
- Rubbing alcohol
- Dish Soap
To hang string lights on your stucco home you’ll need to pick up some adhesive hooks from the store. Be sure to get ones that are rated for outdoor use.
Once you’ve selected the appropriate hooks for your project, you’ll need to thoroughly clean the surface you’d like to apply them to, to make sure they adhere well.
To clean the stucco, repeat these steps until the area you want to decorate is clean:
- Brush away any dirt or debris with your stiff brush
- Scrub up the spot with a degreasing formula of dish soap and warm water
- Rinse the soap solution and wait for it to dry
- Once dry, apply rubbing alcohol and allow to dry again
- Install the hooks by following the manufacturer's instructions.
- You’ll want to install the hooks the same distance between the lights on the strand you’re decorating with.
- Wait at least one hour after installing the hooks to make sure they are fully bonded to the stucco, then begin to hand your string lights.
TIP: The key to installing adhesive hooks is the prep. While it may seem tedious, it’s necessary to prevent the hooks from falling off the side of the house.
Easy Way to Hang Outdoor Christmas Lights on Brick
Brick is another odd exterior surface to decorate. One of the easiest methods to attach holiday lights to brick is with a brick clip. Brick clips, also known as brick hangers, work on bricks that are not quite flush with the mortar. They can be placed and removed easily, hold up to 30 lbs., and can be reused year after year.
Brick clips generally come with a saw tooth edge on the top and two secure tabs on the bottom. Before you buy, be sure to measure a handful of bricks around the exterior of your home to ensure the proper size.
Brick Clip Tips:
- Be sure to prep for where you want your lights and how many clips you’ll need.
- Measure out the area you want to decorate. You’ll need to hang a brick clip every 6 to 8 inches.
- Some lights, like C7 or C9 bulbs, will require larger clips.
Related Content: Decorate the Holidays – Safely
How To Hang Christmas Lights Around a Window
Framing exterior windows with Christmas lights is one of the easiest ways to add some holiday flare to your home. Here are the basic steps to easily hang lights on your windows:
- Measure the perimeter of the windows and clean the surfaces. It’s also a good idea to make note of your exterior outlets while measuring your windows to tell how many strands of lights you’ll need.
- Test your Christmas light strands. Before you start hanging lights, make sure they work!
- Select mounting hardware Siding staples and adhesive hooks work well for homes with vinyl siding.
- Install the lights.
Decorating with lights around your home’s windows and front door is an easy way to give your house some festive curb appeal.
How To Hang Christmas Lights on Gutters
The best way to hang lights from your gutters is with gutter hooks. Gutter hooks are simple to apply and inexpensive. You can find them at any hardware store, and they don’t leave lasting damage or marks on your gutters.
How To Hang Christmas Lights Without Gutters
If your house doesn’t have gutters don’t fret! There’s another option to complete your decorating project: Cup hooks. Cup hooks work in a similar way to gutter hooks, however, they do require you to screw cup hooks into the exterior of your home.
This process can leave behind a minor indent when the cup hooks are removed, but it’s not too noticeable. This hook type is good for preventing sagging light strands as long as they’re installed properly.
Kansas City Electricians
Whether you need help installing exterior outlets for your holiday lighting display or are considering adding accent lighting for year-round curb appeal, we can help! If you’re in the Kansas City area, the CM Mose & Son team is here for you. Call us at (816) 339-5190[OUW8] or request a quote online today.